Legal Services Corporation
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is a publicly funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation established by the United States Congress. It seeks to ensure equal access to justice under the law for all Americans by providing funding for civil legal aid to those who otherwise would be unable to afford it. The LSC was created in 1974 with bipartisan congressional sponsorship and the support of the Nixon administration, and is funded through the congressional appropriations process.
LSC has a board of eleven directors, appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the United States Senate, that set LSC policy. By law the board is bipartisan; no more than six members can come from the same party. LSC has a president and other officers who implement those policies and oversee the corporation's operations.
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
This collection comprises articles, background papers, memoranda, etc. related to Askew's work with the LSC. Also included is the decision of the U.S. Court Of Appeals D.C. Circuit, in National Senior Citizens Law Center v. Legal Services Corporation. The photographs contained in the collection include stills taken from the film Day of Justice, ca. 1977 and various legal services gatherings between 1983 and 1988.
The bulk of this collection includes speeches given at bar association events and award ceremonies. Also included are articles, reports and a transcript of a press conference given in support of the Legal Services Corporation.
- Subject: Legal services X
- Collection 7
- Archival Object 3
- Legal services -- United States 9
- Indigent defense -- United States 3
- Law -- Study and teaching -- United States 3
- Legal aid -- Clinical education 3
- Legal assistance to the poor 3
- Brady v. Maryland 2
- Legal aid -- International 2
- Legal aid -- South Africa 2
- Oral history -- United States 2
- Poverty 2
- Public defenders -- United States 2
- Education 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Connecticut -- New Haven 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Georgia 1
- Legal services 1
- Legal services -- Photographs 1
- War on Poverty 1 ∧ less