Henry A. Freedman Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of Legal Services Corporation (LSC) materials covering such matters as litigation with LSC as defendant, back-up centers, and legislation. Other materials relate to Action for Legal Rights and other legal organizations such as NLADA and Poverty Lawyers for Effective Advocacy. Forms of material include memos, news clippings, journal articles, reports and brochures.The Henry A. Freedman papers are organized into two series: Legal Services Corporation materials and topical files.
The NEJL also holds an oral history interview with Henry Freedman, conducted on October 25th, 2013 by Alan Houseman in Washington, DC. The interview has not been transcribed yet.
- 1967 - 2000
- Freedman, Henry A. (Person)
All rights reserved by Georgetown University Law Library unless otherwise noted.
Biographical / Historical
Freedman is the Executive Director of the National Center for Law and Economic Justice in New York City (formerly the Center on Social Welfare Policy and Law, formerly the Welfare Law Center). He has chaired the Committee on Legal Assistance of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York; was part of the first class of Reginald Heber Smith fellows; and chaired the Organization of Legal Services Back-up Centers. His many awards include the NLADA's Reginald Heber Smith Award for Dedicated Service and the New York State Bar Association's Public Interest Law Award. Freedman is a 1962 graduate of Amherst College and 1965 graduate of Yale Law School where he served as president of the Legal Aid Association.
3.8 linear feet
Language of Materials
- American Bar Association
- Legal Services Corporation
- Legal Services Program. Vail Conference
- Legal assistance to the poor
- Legal assistance to the poor -- United States
- Legal services -- United States
- National Legal Aid and Defender Association
- Office of Economic Opportunity. Legal Services Program
- Poverty Lawyers for Effective Advocacy
- Reginald Heber Smith Community Lawyer Fellowship Program
- Finding Aid for the Henry A. Freedman Papers (Coll. 14)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the National Equal Justice Library Repository
Georgetown University Law Library
111 G. Street NW
Washington D.C. 20001