National Legal Aid and Defender Association
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
The interview discusses the beginnings of Martha Bergmark's career in legal services, the situation of legal services in Mississippi during the 1960s and 1970s, opposition of the private bar against legal services, expansion of legal services in the late 1970s, effects of the Reagan cutbacks. Also discussed are Shaw .v Mississippi; The McComb Amendment; Ayres v. Fortise, Brown v. Board of Education; Governor’s veto of OEO grant fund; municipal equalization; and IOLTA funds.
Cait Clarke, the Assistant Director at the Office of Defender Services, Administrative Office of the United States Courts and former director of Strategic Initiatives at the NLADA, has been a long-time legal educator and advocate, and has been teaching, training, and consulting on the law, policy reform and leadership skills. She was the founding Director of National Defender Leadership Institute. Her papers include reports, documentation, and training materials for defenders.
The Legal Services Program file contains materials related to Morrison's work during his tenure from 1972 to 1973 as Acting Chief of the Evaluation Division of the Office of Economic Opportunity’s Legal Services Program, and Special Assistant to the Director of that office.
The second series contains materials related to Morrison's tenure as Executive Director of El Paso Legal Assistance Society from 1971-1972.
- Collection 10
- Archival Object 3
- Legal assistance to the poor -- United States 10
- Public defenders -- United States 6
- Legal services -- United States 5
- Indigent defense -- United States 4
- Legal assistance to the poor 3
- Indigent defense -- United States -- Training 2
- Capital punishment 1
- Criminal justice, Administration of 1
- Education 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- California 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Georgia 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- New Jersey 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Texas -- El Paso 1
- Legal assistance to the poor-Mississippi 1
- Legal services 1
- Oral history -- United States 1
- Poverty 1
- Public defenders 1 ∧ less