Office of Economic Opportunity. Legal Services Program
Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
This collection comprises correspondence, a memo, and reports related to OEO's Office of Legal Services. Also included are LSC publications. Of particular note is a 1979 memo from several staff of LSC to Clinton Lyons, LSC's deputy director of its first regional office in the South, located in Atlanta, regarding the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program (NLAP) in Charleston, South Carolina.
Oral history interview with Professor Gary Bellow, professor at the Harvard Law School. The interview was conducted on the campus of the Harvard Law School on March 17, 1999, by Zona Hostetler ZONA HOSTETLER from Washington, D.C., and I will be conducting the interview.
Interview with H. Michael (Mickey) Bennett conducted in Palo Alto, California by Alan Houseman on May 27, 2004.
The interview discusses the beginnings of Martha Bergmark's career in legal services, the situation of legal services in Mississippi during the 1960s and 1970s, opposition of the private bar against legal services, expansion of legal services in the late 1970s, effects of the Reagan cutbacks. Also discussed are Shaw .v Mississippi; The McComb Amendment; Ayres v. Fortise, Brown v. Board of Education; Governor’s veto of OEO grant fund; municipal equalization; and IOLTA funds.
This collection contains a reprint from Howard Westwood from the Howard Law Journal; correspondence with Navajo leader Peter MacDonald; a pamphlet from the Navajo Reservation's DNA's People Legal Services (DNA is an anagram for the Navajo phrase that translates to "attorneys who work for the economic revitalization of the people); material from the 1999 Servant of Justice Awards; an OEO memo; and a scan of a photo with Athey, Hillary Clinton and others.
The records include materials from Carol Ruth Silver's services as a legal services attorney in the 1960s, the early days of the legal services program. They include files from Berkeley Neighborhood Legal Services, California Rural Regal Services Delano Office, Alamada County Legal Aid Society Fruitvale Office, and material from Silver's consulting work for the NLADA in Alaska. They cover the period from 1967-1971.
- Collection 15
- Archival Object 7
- Legal assistance to the poor -- United States 17
- Legal services -- United States 9
- War on Poverty 7
- Poverty 5
- Oral history -- United States 4
- Law -- Study and teaching -- United States 3
- Legal aid -- Clinical education 3
- Legal assistance to the poor 3
- Brady v. Maryland 2
- Indigent defense -- United States 2
- Legal aid -- International 2
- Legal aid -- South Africa 2
- Legal assistance to the poor -- California 2
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Washington (D.C.) 2
- Race discrimination 2
- Education 1
- Juvenile Justice, Administration of 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Alaska 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Connecticut -- New Haven 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Fellowships 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Georgia 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Louisiana -- Baton Rouge 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Maryland -- Baltimore 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Navajo Nation, Arizona, New Mexico & Utah 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Ohio -- Cleveland 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Texas -- El Paso 1
- Legal assistance to the poor-Mississippi 1
- Legal services 1
- Legal services -- Photographs 1
- Public defenders 1 ∧ less