Legal Services Corporation
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is a publicly funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation established by the United States Congress. It seeks to ensure equal access to justice under the law for all Americans by providing funding for civil legal aid to those who otherwise would be unable to afford it. The LSC was created in 1974 with bipartisan congressional sponsorship and the support of the Nixon administration, and is funded through the congressional appropriations process.
LSC has a board of eleven directors, appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the United States Senate, that set LSC policy. By law the board is bipartisan; no more than six members can come from the same party. LSC has a president and other officers who implement those policies and oversee the corporation's operations.
Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
The collection is arranged into five series: 1) background information on the Reginald Heber Smith Community Fellows Program, 1967-1985; 2) original rosters and current information of Reggies by class year; 3) current information about former Reggies, arranged alphabetically; 4) planning materials related to the Thirtieth Anniversary Reunion of Reggies; and 5) Reunion program materials and documentation (includes audio-visual materials, stored separately). A finding aid exists.
This collection comprises articles, reports, and other materials related to legal services. A significant portion of the papers cover the issues surrounding the passage of the Legal Services Corporation Act of 1974.
The bulk of this collection includes speeches given at bar association events and award ceremonies. Also included are articles, reports and a transcript of a press conference given in support of the Legal Services Corporation.
- Collection 16
- Archival Object 10
- Legal assistance to the poor -- United States 18
- Legal services -- United States 9
- Legal assistance to the poor 4
- Indigent defense -- United States 3
- Law -- Study and teaching -- United States 3
- Legal aid -- Clinical education 3
- Legal aid -- International 3
- Brady v. Maryland 2
- Legal aid -- South Africa 2
- Oral history -- United States 2
- Poverty 2
- Public defenders -- United States 2
- Education 1
- Juvenile Justice, Administration of 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Connecticut -- New Haven 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Fellowships 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Georgia 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Maryland 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Missouri 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- New Jersey 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Texas -- El Paso 1
- Legal assistance to the poor-Mississippi 1
- Legal services 1
- Legal services -- Photographs 1
- War on Poverty 1 ∧ less