Office of Economic Opportunity. Legal Services Program
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Oral history interview with Professor Gary Bellow, professor at the Harvard Law School. The interview was conducted on the campus of the Harvard Law School on March 17, 1999, by Zona Hostetler ZONA HOSTETLER from Washington, D.C., and I will be conducting the interview.
Interview with H. Michael (Mickey) Bennett conducted in Palo Alto, California by Alan Houseman on May 27, 2004.
The interview discusses the beginnings of Martha Bergmark's career in legal services, the situation of legal services in Mississippi during the 1960s and 1970s, opposition of the private bar against legal services, expansion of legal services in the late 1970s, effects of the Reagan cutbacks. Also discussed are Shaw .v Mississippi; The McComb Amendment; Ayres v. Fortise, Brown v. Board of Education; Governor’s veto of OEO grant fund; municipal equalization; and IOLTA funds.
- Type: Archival Object X
- Legal assistance to the poor -- United States 5
- Poverty 4
- Legal services -- United States 3
- Oral history -- United States 3
- War on Poverty 3
- Law -- Study and teaching -- United States 2
- Legal aid -- Clinical education 2
- Brady v. Maryland 1
- Indigent defense -- United States 1
- Legal aid -- International 1
- Legal aid -- South Africa 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Georgia 1
- Legal assistance to the poor -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Legal assistance to the poor-Mississippi 1
- Public defenders 1
- Race discrimination 1 ∧ less