Georgetown Law Magazine (formerly Res Ipsa Loquitur)
- 1933 - 2021
Biographical / Historical
From the cover of the Fall 1977 Res Ipsa Loquitur: "In November 1936 the first issue of Res Ipsa Loquitur was published as an alumni oriented tabloid/newspaper. That same year Georgetown Law became the sixth law school in the country to require a Bachelor's degree for admission. For four years the paper continued to bring news and information to Georgetown alumni until in 1941 publication was suspended. When Res Ipsa Loquitur reappeared ten years later as the school newspaper, it was sponsored by the newly founded Student Bar Association. Another change at Georgetown accompanied its rebirth: The Fall 1951 issue included a special greeting to Georgetown Law's first women students. As the school's quarterly means of news, the paper fared well for several years. In 1965, Volume 18 announced a change to the magazine format and introduced newly appointed Professors Cohn, McCarthy, Murphy, and Weidenbruch. Unfortunately, the magazine gained a reputation as controversial as the times in which it was published. Yet another form is part of Res Ipsa Loquitur's history. Recent graduates may recall it as a journal of public interest and the law, published primarily by evening students."
Beginning with the Fall 1994 issue, the magazine changed its name to Georgetown Law; -- Res Ipsa Loquitur was retained as a subtititle.
Beginning with the Spring-Summer 2017 issue, Res Ipsa Loquitur was no longer used as a subtitle; the name became simply Georgetown Law.
During the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020-2021, the magazine was published exclusively in digital form. The digital issues are available on Digitial Georgetown, and links are provided from this finding aid.
5 linear feet (1 record storage box; 8 Hollinger boxes)
47 digital file(s)
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Law Center Archives Repository
Georgetown University Law Library
111 G. Street NW
Washington D.C. 20001